16 April 2012

Golden cookie cupcakes!

Happy 30-something birthday to my dear husband!! We always go out to eat for his birthday so I thought I'd make some cupcakes for him! I had a sleeping baby and had to work with what I had in the cupboard and all I had was one box of white cake mix but thought that was too boring. Golden Oreos are his favorite and he had just bought a new package of them so I decided to make the boxed cake mix as is and add in some crumbled cookies! I then made homemade frosting with shortening, powdered sugar, milk, vanilla and almond extract. It turned out oh so delicious!!! Cupcakes are my absolute favorite thing to bake and decorate. I have this crazy dream of someday opening up my own cupcake shop!! So this wasn't anything too fancy but it just shows you can add anything to a white cake mix to 'jazz' it up a bit :)

My measurements for my frosting are approximate since I usually eyeball it. But I started with 1/2 cup shortening and added about 3 cups of powdered sugar and 1/4 cup of milk. I did add a cap full of vanilla and almond extract (does anyone actually measure these things!!) LOL
The finished product turned out pretty amazing I think!

Happy Birthday Derrick!!

No comments:

Post a Comment