25 March 2012

Chicken Broccoli Tater Tot Casserole

So this is of course a meal I found on the wonderful Pinterest.  I made it for my husband one night as his self proclaimed favorite meal is tater tot hotdish and I thought this would be an interesting twist on it!  We ate so much!!  I think it was the first time that the leftovers got eaten!  I knew this was going to be a staple in our home.  Well my parents were stumped on what to have for dinner tonight so I offered to make it.  They are very meat and potatoes people so it is always nice to try something new!! 

I spent a total of $7.93 for this meal.  Which for 3 adults who will be able to each have 2-3 servings that's not bad!  We did have the chicken already in the freezer which obviously helped save us on $$ and we had all the spices and milk and cheese. 

Groceries:
  • Cream of Chicken soup (store brand) $0.99
  • Oreida Tator Tots $3.64
  • Birdseye Frozen Steamable Broccoli $1.93
  • 8oz Sour Cream $1.37
Here's my version of the recipe: (originally found HERE) I did omit the bacon pieces as it doesn't really need em.

1 pound of chicken breast, cut into chunks and browned
2 pounds of frozen tater tots 2 cups of broccoli, cooked
2 cups of colby jack or your favorite cheddar cheese, shredded
1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup
1 cup of sour cream
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 teaspoon of seasoning salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of onion powder
1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

First I cut up my chicken and browned it in a pan with a little bit of oil, salt and pepper.  Then you layer the chicken in the bottom of a 9x13 greased pan.  Then layer the broccoli (I buy the quick steamfresh packages of broccoli, steam em and then dump them on top of the chicken).

You mix the soup, sour cream and spices together in a bowl.  Then add the milk and 1.5 cups of the cheese.  When that's all mixed up you pour it evenly on top of the chicken and broccoli.  Then put the tater tots on top and finish by topping it off with the rest of the cheese.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes.  Then ENJOY!!!

It's so easy, and fairly cheap if you keep the main ingredients stocked in your cupboard/freezer.  If you make this dish let me know if you love it!!!

Sorry for the terrible picture, we all started digging in before I could snap one!!  LOL

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm. It's a hybrid of all of the things I love about casserole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just made this tonight. Yummy! My husband and I both like it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete