27 March 2012

Edamame...I love you!

So my first experience with Edamame was at a local sushi restaurant when I went with a friend and he got them as an appetizer.  I was hooked ever since.  I had gotten them a few more times and devoured them.  So as I was having a craving for them today I thought hey I wonder if I can make these myself and save a trip to my favorite sushi place, and money!
What is Edamame you ask???  All it is is a soy bean in a pod....or you can buy them not in the pod.  But they are so much fun in the pods!!  Soy beans, who knew!
So I scoped out our local grocery store and figured out I'd probably have to get these in the frozen section as we don't have very extensive produce in our area (North Dakota).  Sure enough there it was in the frozen section in our organic area of the grocery store.  They were screaming my name.  And for only $2.89 for a 10oz bag I thought I'd try it!
Well it was so ridiculously easy to prepare them that I may just have to stock my freezer with this tasty treat.
First I just started boiling some water in a pot on the stove.  I added quite a bit of salt as this is pretty much what gives these the flavor they have.  If you have to stay away from salt then just add what you are comfortable with.  Then after they started boiling I carefully dumped in the whole bag of frozen beans and simmered them for a few minutes.  I did taste test a couple first before taking them out of the water.  They should be easy to squeeze out of the pods but not mushy.
I then strained them in a colander and ran cold water over them to stop them from cooking.  Then I once again dusted them with sea salt.
And voila!!  A super easy dinner that is relatively good for you (besides the salt I suppose!) and I shamefully devoured the entire bag....
You can either squeeze the beans out with your fingers or just use your teeth to pull them out.  You'll be hooked!!  Try em, they're DELICIOUS!!!!

1 comment: